Shark Trivia: Quiz in class
- Sharks loose between 15 to 16 Thousand teeth during a lifetime.
- The 3 most dangerous sharks in the Gulf of Mexico: Great White, Tiger, Bull.
- The Great White grows to about 25 feet in length.
- The Bull can live in Salt and fresh water and grows to about 15 feet in length
- The Mako is the fastest shark in the world.
- The Dogfish shark is the longest living shark (80 – 100 years) and grows to 5 feet.
- The Guitar fish is the rarest species of shark.
- The four species of Hammerhead sharks: Bonnet, Scallop (page 132), Smooth, Shovel.
- The Remora is a fish that adheres to sharks.
- Sharks have a 6th sense that humans do not have: an ability to pick up an electrical impulse from objects/living things.
- Stingrays have barbs on their tails. Have round flat teeth.
- Skates have no barbs on the tail.
- Be able to ID shark teeth. See Figure 6.5 on page 133.
- By examining the rings in a shark’s vertebrae you can determine its age:
Class challenge for November 15: Dress the most colorful
In our lab we dissected small fish to examine its internal structure. Photos by C. Imperio.
Making the first ventral cut.
Examining the gills, digestive track, heart, liver, swim bladder.
We are still hopeful that we will have sharks to dissect in the near future. Please view the virtual shark dissection.
- Finish reading Module 6 pages 137 – 155.
- Answer OYO questions 6.7 – 6.15
- Answer Study Guide questions definitions f – k and questions 13 – 26
- Finish up lab drawings and diagrams
- Quiz : Shark Trivia
- Class Challenge: Who can dress the most colorful
Have a great week! -Mrs. S